MORGANTOWN, WV (WBOY) – Concerned West Virginia University parents want answers after a possible “mold-like substance” was reportedly found in air conditioners in various dormitories.
Parents said their children got sick and developed various symptoms, such as: nosebleeds, runny nose, watery eyes, dry cough, rash, sore throat, sinus congestion, wheezing, and difficulty breathing after physical activity.
We contacted West Virginia University and received the following statement:
WVU has recently responded to several student inquiries about mold-like substances at Summit Hall and the Evansdale Residential Complex. We take these concerns seriously and have been investigated within 24 to 48 hours of the assignment being submitted.
After a thorough survey of the 90+ residents’ rooms in Summit Hall and the ERC by the WVU’s environmental health and safety team, these facilities remain safe and free from widespread mold problems.
In addition, Environmental Health and Safety regularly checks dormitories for moisture. WVU recently installed dehumidifiers in hallways of high humidity floors and in areas where students raised concerns. The dehumidifiers have reduced the humidity in the hallway by around 40% and, in conjunction with the changing weather conditions, should ensure that the humidity remains regulated in the future.
In the few instances where mold or mildew was discovered in living spaces, it was most likely the result of increased outdoor airflow in buildings under COVID-19 safety protocols coupled with high humidity for several consecutive days.
April Kaull, director of news and university relations at West Virginia University
The parents said they had also contacted the Monongalia County Health Department. 12 News has also reported to the health department and is waiting for an answer.